Monday, September 5, 2011

How I made my upholstered headboard


I LOVE the look of a big tall upholstered headboard. It's a really easy and inexpensive way to add drama to a room.

I knew I wanted an upholstered headboard when I started my bedroom makeover. I also wanted it to be inexpensive and easy for me to DIY.

I started with a 4'x 8' sheet of pegboard I had cut down to 4'x4' at Lowe's. While there I picked up two French-Cleat Art mounting brackets.  Then I went to Jo-Ann and bought 1" foam and quilt batting.

To start, I laid my pegboard down, and sprayed spray adhesive all over it.
Then I laid the foam down.

Moving inside, I laid my face fabric (a flat sheet from Target) down on a clean surface.



Then I laid my batting on top of that.

Finally, I laid my foamed- up pegboard down on the batting, foam side down.

First, I stapled the batting to the pegboard with my trusty staple gun. You want to pull it taut, but not tight. Try to keep even pressure all the way around so it doesn't wave.

Then, repeat the process with your face fabric. Staple one staple in the top, then one in the bottom, one in the left, and one in the right. Go back to the top and staple like hell.


When you get to the corners, you'll need to pretend you're wrapping a package or making a bed.

Pull one side down, and add a staple.

Then pull the other across and staple again.

The finished product:


Now time to add the mounting hardware.

I taped my cleats in place first:


Then screwed them in with the provided hardware.


Next I measured where the cleats were in relation to the top of the headboard and each other:



You need to do some math to figure out where to mount your cleats on the board and on the wall.


Then mount the cleats on the wall according to your math.

The cleats have an angle to them to allow the part mounted to the headboard to slip on to the wall part.

Now just get someone to help you hang the headboard on the wall cleats, and you're done.



I finished this in February (bad blogger!) and am STILL debating about adding nailhead trim to it. Any thoughts? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Let me know what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails