Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Mis- Adventure- Placemat Fail, part 2

*** Apologies for today's late post. The day got away from me at work, and I didn't finish this until late today! Thank you for reading!***

Several months ago, I fell in love with some placemats at One Kings Lane. Of course I can't find them now, but I think they were from Dransfield and Ross.  I did save this image from when I found them originally.


Hexagonal, Leather, Nailhead trim. I was in LOVE with everything about them. Well, except the pricey price tag.  So I set out to DIY some.


My first attempt was a total failure.  You can read about it here.
My second attempt was too, although I'm getting better.

I decided they needed to be hardboard like placemats, with a decorative top and nailhead trim, with a hard coating and cork back. Sounds easy right?

Off I went to Lowe's and found the 1/8" plywood project panels. I had Prince Charming cut them down for me to 12x24 rectangles.

Then I took some wrapping paper and ModPodge Hardcoat.




I put a layer of Hardcoat on the plywood, then laid my wrapping paper down. Then I smoothed it out with a credit card.  Half a bottle of Hardcoat later, I still don't have that built- up finish I'm looking for.

Then I read this post by Jen at Tatertots and Jello.  Lightbulb!

I need resin. And I think I"m going to try this with actual Masonite, some studs designed for clothing, and a pour on resin. 


Stay tuned and hopefully it will work this time!!!!


Catch a Glimpse Button





Photobucket




No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Let me know what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails