So if you know me, it should be no surprise I still have Easter decor out in late June. I keep meaning to take it down, but time gets away from me.
This weekend, I finally made a "summer" wreath for my front door. I wanted it to layer on top of my burlap wreath, be cheap, and be pretty.
I took the embroidery hoop from my tissue paper wreath, and took all the tissue paper off. Let sit for a week or so while you try to catch up on everything else in your life.
I used two bandannas from the dollar section at Target- my favorite store!
I used my rotary cutter to cut one bandanna into bias strips 2" wide.
Then, I sewed along one edge with a loose straight stitch (as big as your machine will go) for several strips.
Then, tie the upper and bobbin thread together on one end of the strip (so your gathers don't unravel. I learned that the hard way.) Then, pull the bobbin thread on the other end so your fabric gathers up a bit. You don't want it all tight and scrunch, just a little ruffly.
When you're done, you'll have a pile like this:
Now, plug in your glue gun and dust off the embroidery hoop.
Lay a line of glue on the outside edge of the hoop, and stick the thread-gathered end of your ruffle on.
I was supposed to be done there. But I didn't like how my ruffles showed the embroidery hoop. It also looked a little skimpy.
So I used the second bandanna worth to cut more bias strips. I did another layer on the outside of the embroidery hoop, gathering the ruffle only a little bit.
Now it was finally looking "full" as Mom always said.
I cut a long bias strip from some red fabric, made a bow, and hot glued it on since I couldn't find any red ribbon.
I wired this on top of my burlap wreath and hung it on my front door!
I love all the ruffly goodness, and how this project only cost me $2!
I hope you all have a safe and Wonderful Fourth!