Thursday, March 3, 2011

Bedroom Makeover: Floors

 

The carpet in my bedroom is in rough shape. Has been since I moved in. And I keep meaning to do something about it.

So while we were doing the makeover,  I decided to rip out the carpet and paint my subfloors.

I can’t afford to put in hardwood flooring like I so dearly want yet, but this is a good temporary solution.

First step was to remove the carpet. I cut it into sections with a utility knife so I could get it downstairs by myself.

Then, pull up all the tack strip, pad, and staples.

Once you have a smooth floor, you can fill in any imperfections with wood filler and sand. Or not.  I chose not.

Sweep, Vacuum, and Wash the floor really well to get a good clean surface to paint on.

DSCN1329 

Following the method I used for the walls, I cut in around the edges with my favorite Zinsser 123 primer, which seals the bare wood.

DSCN1334

I then rolled on a thin and even coat. Let it dry!

DSCN1338

Next were two coats of chocolate brown flat paint. The color is Sherwin Williams Turkish Coffee, mixed into Valspar flat paint.

DSCN1343

Then came three coats of water-based polyurethane. Follow the directions on the can! DO NOT SHAKE THE CAN, or you will have air bubbles everywhere, ruining your pretty floors.

I used a synthetic pad applicator, overlapping the wet edge to ensure a smooth finish. Let dry for two hours, or until not tacky. Then sand with the grain using 220 grit sandpaper. Get all the dust up and make sure the floor is clean before you put on the second coat. Repeat for a total of three coats. 

The hardest part is letting the final coat dry for 72 hours before putting furniture back in!

DSCN1374 (2)

1 comment:

Got something to say? Let me know what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails