Friday, October 1, 2010

Vanity Stool Re-upholstery project!

The same day I made my Fall wreath , I was waiting on my new washing machine to be delivered. I got a very cool high efficency front load machine. She's so pretty!


Since delivery guys are never on time, I also had time to re-upholster this vanity stool.


This mahogany beauty was my grandmother's. It's part of the set she and my grandfather had when they first got married!

I'm using the dressing table as a computer desk in my guestroom (where I'm blogging from in case you were wondering), and am using the stool as a luggage bench of sorts for when I have visitors.

I have a guest room re-do as a future project (way down on the list too), but this was a quick change and made her so much prettier!

Since she just got refinished professionally, I didn't have to do any work to the frame. I flipped her upside down, and un-screwed the top.


I then painstakingly pulled out all the staples holding the existing upholstery in place. Use both a flathead screwdriver and needle nose pliers.

I then laid my ironed fabric right side down on the floor. Center the seat on the fabric. Pull up one side, and staple in the center. Staple the opposite side, pulling taught. Staple the third side, then the fourth side opposite. Now that you have one staple in each side, go back around and staple the whole thing down, pulling tight.
 
Now for the corners- I pulled and folded like I was wrapping a package, then stapled them like it was going out of style.
 
Flip her over, check her out. If you don't like what you just did, honey, it's just staples.
 
When you're happy, screw the seat back into the frame. You did put those screws in a safe place, right?
 
Take a picture!

1 comment:

  1. I would love to see a whole house tour! (Maybe you've already done that?)

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? Let me know what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails