Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Ottoman Re-cover

One of the benefits of being an interior designer is free furniture. With the exception of a few accent pieces, all of my furniture is either hand me downs or free from my job. And hey, I'm young, so I'm cool with that.

However, free doesn't always match.

I got this ottoman and matching chair when we re-did our showroom vignettes at work a few years ago. The chair immediately got covered in a purchased slipcover, but I didn't know what to do for the ottoman. It doesn't match anything in my house, but it has good lines and is a perfect size. I covered it with a throw blanket and called it a day for the longest time.

Then came the blogging. I read all about slipcovers over at Pink and Polka Dot. I decided I needed to slipcover this ottoman. It was SCREAMING at me for help.

So, I took my self to Hobby Lobby. (DANGEROUS!) I found some cotton duck that seemed like it would stand up well to frequent washing to remove drool and dog hair.

I also bought welt cord to define the top of the slipcover.

Wash and dry your fabric in HOT water so you pre-shrink it. Then I ironed it to flatten it out.

I cut rectangles approximately the size of the sides and top, and pin fit them.

Then sewed it all together. (with a little help from my trusty antique Singer sewing machine, and my slipcover tutorial books. If you need a little more help, Pink and Polka Dot has an e-book for only $10 that gives great instructions!


Here's the finished beauty! I'm so proud of myself! I think I may be able to tackle the chairs next. After I complete a few things on my to-do list, of course.


9/15/10: I linked up to Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Let me know what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails